martes, 16 de enero de 2018

LIFE

Past can´t be mended and it´s gone and there´s nothing we can do about it. Future, however, is a destination that some of us will never see. People don´t realize that and they live like if they had all the time of the world, when, in fact, time is the only thing we don’t have. We project ourselves into that future that is as far away as a distant galaxy. It´s, like Elvis Presley used to sing, now or never. The other day, for instance, I felt I was having a heart attack. I was fine after breakfast and all of sudden I found myself lying down in bed, holding my chest and praying to God. When the pain was gone I went to the doctor and, surprise, surprise, the crisis was just a nervous breakdown but painful nevertheless. 

People take life for granted sometimes, It´s not my case, without noticing that when they don´t reply a message to a friend- whatsapp, Facebook or a letter- perhaps they will never have the chance to do so. I was thinking about it the other day when I came across the story of Holly Butcher, an Australian woman who died of a rare form of cancer that affects mostly young people. Before she passed away, the young girl penned a letter which she asked her family to post on her Facebook account once she was gone.

Among the things she said, I would like to share with you some amazing lines: “It´s a strange thing to realize and accept your mortality at 26 years young”.  “It´s just one of those things you ignore. The days tick by and you just expect they will keep on coming; until the unexpected happens”. That´s the thing about life, it is fragile, precious and unpredictable and each day is a gift, not a given right”.  “I am 27 now and I don´t want to go”.

But the lines that struck me the most was this one: “ I am watching my body waste away right before my eyes with nothing I can do about it and all I wish for now is that I could have just one more birthday or Christmas with my family, or just one more day with my partner and dog. Just one more”.  So please, don´t take anything for granted; life is precious and precious is life. Do yourself a favour; don’t waste your time with your pathetic problems.

I don´t know how many times some people are, including good friends, ignoring me. I can´t be sure about the times people forget to tell me that I matter to them. It`s like I was going to be around when, in fact, I am running out of time. That´s why I live life to the full and I enjoy every Christmas like they were my last. I guess that this attitude to life is based on the advise my mum gave me before dying; “Enjoy life to the full because life is too short. Some moments ago I was playing with you and your brother in the garden, and now I am about to die”.  I held her in my arms for the very last time we cried together. 

To be completely honest with you, I don´t know for how long I am going to be around here, but if you need to tell me how important I am for you or, why not, how stupid I am, don’t wait too much because tomorrow can be too late.  Like I am aware of that, let me share with you my declaration of principles.

King is dead, he just left
Been so long, I don´t forget
Blacktop road, moon shine bright
There in the corner, jukebox play
Pour me another whiskey, give me a light
Echoes ring out on a blue suede night


Sergio Calle Llorens

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario