miércoles, 18 de noviembre de 2015

WRITING

As I expected work after midnight, I did not promise myself a very restful night, so I threw myself on the bed, intending to read a bit, as there was a large lamp on the table. Scarcely had I started to read when I received an email in my computer from someone in Scotland. It was from a  woman who after giving me some compliments about my writing, asked me If English is my native tongue and, surprise, surprise, if I could give her some advices for her writing. So here we go.

First of all, English is not my first tongue but this fact does not stop me from writing in the language of Shakespeare. Let`s put it this way; I learnt English at a very early age and I love the sound of the language. Anyway, I write in different languages here in my blog; Spanish, English, Catalan and even, some poetry in French. It goes without saying that I am not qualified to say if my texts are worth reading.  My legendary modesty prevent me from mentioning my best published stories but, if you have something negative to say about them,  please do it; my ego can handle it.

Secondly, I am probably the worst person to give advices and when it comes to writing, I don’t even know where I would start.  So I apologize in advance if I am not fulfilled the expectations of my Scottish friend. Anyway, here I go; Keep in mind that when you try to write in order to please other people, you are making a big mistake because you think you know other people but actually you don´t. By the same token, it must be other people with the same taste you do, or course.  So go ahead, try basically to please yourself but, whatever you do, of course, you have to write well. Last thing, try to create impossible situations where a character has to do something he or she does not want to do. Remember, the most difficult thing is the dilemma, the most interested the viewer or the reader will be.  That`s all I know about the subject.

¡Good Luck and Good Night!

Sergio Calle Llorens


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario